Saturday, January 24, 2009

More about Windows 7 Beta.....

Worth waiting for, Folks.... it's a keeper!

I finally figured out why I was getting a black screen sometimes while trying to wait until the installation process had finished. While "trying everything" to restore it, I hit the "Sleep" key, and suddenly it woke up and so did I.

Out of the box, so to speak, Windows 7 Beta comes set to turn off its monitor after about ten minutes of inactivity, and the computer itself after about 30 - so there I sat, watching the clock and waiting for the download process to finish up, and the monitor went to sleep. So then when that went, the computer had less happening, so it shut down about 20 minutes later, and that explains why the download didn't finish the first couple of times ( make that 7 or 8) that I tried to do it. Once I got onto that sleep mode thing, and reset the power options to never shut off, everything has been going just fine.

So if you haven't tried Windows 7 Beta yet, and you have a computer you can test it on, then I'd say "go for it". This has all the makings of another 'old reliable' like good old XP except that it is more modern and does more things more conveniently, including working with older programs more easily. So don't throw out your favorite ones from XP and Vista.

No comments:

Post a Comment