Tuesday, March 17, 2009

About the post below, and screen-captures programs


When I was correcting a problem with my Wacom Graphire 4 Tablet yesterday, one of the things I had to do was turn off the built-in Windows Tablet PC Components in Control Panel -> Programs and Features. With that little box unchecked, and this feature no longer activated, it meant that I can't use Vista's Snipping Tool, which is part of the Tablet PC Optional Components.

I have been using that a lot, so without it, I had to go hunting for another tool which can do partial screen captures as well as the full-screen ones. The full-screen ones have never been a problem for me, because Irfan Skiljan's 'Irfanview' does a very nice job on those, and it works with every kind of Windows there are, plus two. But grabbing just a portion of the screen, and being able to adjust the size of that is another story. And the story goes like this: Just go on the web, and Google for 'CaptureScreen 1.6' which is a freeware program that grabs parts of the screen according to how you resize its little window. Right-clicking inside that little window reveals the drop-down of various choices for capture, saving, etc., and this works. Just a word of caution, however - there are two versions of this CaptureScreen, and only the version 1.6 is freeware. Its companion program, version 1.7 is shareware and if you download that one, you only have a 30-day free trial before you have to reach for your credit card.

I'm all for freeware programs (got lots of them!) so I stuck to the simple version, 1.6, because I don't need a lot of bells & whistles, I just want to grab the occasional image or slice of text from a website now and then. And I'm pleased to report that CaptureScreen 1.6 works just fine with Windows 7, in case you would like to try it. (You can find it here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment