Monday, March 2, 2009

Want voltages and temperatures readings ?

After a couple of days of stewing about temperatures, especially of the Nvidia GeForce 8600GS, and trying various programs for reading the sensors that are built into the hardware on the motherboard, I finally settled on this one. It doesn't take a lot of configuring, like the SpeedFan program seems to need, and it gives a fairly good set of readings. It only sees two fans on mine, when there are really four, but I can forgive that, because two of those fans it doesn't list are the ones that are mounted on and part of the CPU and GPU respectively. The others that it does list separately are exhausting air from around the power supply, and from the main interior of the casing. So it does cover all the bases, really.

I got onto this because the GPU temperature is reporting 65 degrees Celsius to 67 or 68, and yet if I open the case and put my finger on the side of the heat-sink of it, it sure doesn't feel like nearly that hot to me. And even with a 12-inch 3-speed household fan blowing air directly into the air intake of the casing, I can't get that GPU temperature to come down below 62 degrees Celsuis - so I have to suspect that this reading is reporting inaccurately high. If it wasn't, then why would it be reporting above 50 C as soon as it is started up after being off all night and colder than a dead mackerel? There's something fishy about all that.... and when some guys say that these temperatures are all just approximate, I can believe that.

No comments:

Post a Comment