Wednesday, April 29, 2009

And now, a look at the original XP Pro.....

... in its pure, unadulterated, official Microsoft version - for those of us who may have forgotten. And I ask you - have you ever seen a nicer, cleaner, more business-like desktop in your whole sweet young life? Come on, now - be honest. Admit it.... you really haven't!

Better late than never, while I was restoring good old XP to its original condition this morning, I made the neat discovery that I didn't have to order a CD of SP3 from Microsoft and wait for it to arrive, before using it to confirm the authenticity of these files. Because.... thanks to Microsoft, there's an ISO Image file of it available for download, and all you need is that ISO and the latest version of the freebie program ImgBurn from here which is version 2.4.4.0 released on the 10th of April, 2009, and you're just minutes away from having your very own CD in your hot little hand. Just in case System File Checker asks you to insert your CD to let it copy files from it.

And in case SFC says "You inserted the wrong CD, you dummy! Give me the right one!" Just quietly send it back where it came from, and run your freshly-minted copy of the SP3 CD and let it tell you what it needs to do, and it will - just as soon as it creates a Restore Point and looks into all those cobweb-filled corners in your filing system. So relax - have a coffee, and wait a few minutes. Then you can reboot the PC, and voila! XP is back in its officially-approved Microsoft version with its files both complete and up-to-date. Good for another 8 years or so.... and don't laugh! I met a guy the other day who, believe it or not, is still using Windows 98SE. When I asked what he does for security he replied, "Show me a hacker that's busting his butt to chew his way into 98SE and I'll show you the next inmate of Ye Olde Funny Farm!" Now there was a "Gotcha" I deserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment