Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Continuing about Image Stabilization....

Image Stabilization? What Image Stabilization? I turned the damned thing off, and look !
What's wrong with this ? "Dear Mr. Canon: Your Image Stabilization is NFG! Try again!"

Moving right along here - (let's, shall we?) - I was checking in the 'Everything' category in the ever-so-handy program Autoruns today, and this Windows 7 is a very cosmopolitan creation. It has DLLs from SIS, Brother, and other big-time electronics outfits, and here's something that surprised me, even though it probably shouldn't have - it has elements from Windows ME, too. You remember Millennium of course. That's when they gave us System File Checker. And why am I telling you this? Because.... you guessed it - System File Checker is back! And it works like a charm, too. When they designed Windows 7, they seem to have thought of everything. Now, all they have to do is polish up this RC1 a bit, and slap a few fancy graphics on the box, and stick a price tag on it, and get it onto the store shelves, preferably before I die of old age while waiting for it. (And I hope I'm just kidding about that!) - Seriously - from what I've seen of it so far, I'd say this promises to be the best Windows ever. They've been listening to all of our anguished cries and howling rants, and they've fixed a whole bunch of aggravations that have been bugging us for ages - and good on them! We deserved it - we're paying for it, after all. But I have to add that it's been great fun helping to de-bug this newest Windows, and I hope they continue using this same model for future new operating systems. Using feedback from the actual purchasers and users of the product is a hell of a good idea, and one that hasn't been used enough.



2 comments:

  1. My good old ME!
    I think I already mentioned I have it running on my machine! It's not too bad, although sometimes it refuses to do what I want it to do, sometimes it wants to continue the session while I want to go to the fourposter, ie it wouldn't shut down.
    But it's ok.
    If only XP (and also 7?) wouldn't be such memory hogs. I mean I have only 128 RAM (My machine that is, I myself can do with even less).
    Otherwise I'd be installing it on my next system. Or LINUX. Are you familiar with LINUX, Ray?

    Have a good one.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Are you familiar with LINUX, Ray?"

    When it comes to Linux, je n'en ai pas la moindre idee (and I can't put the accent over that first 'e' in idee, because I don't have it set up for a French keyboard - sorry about that!) - anyhoooo.....Linux is all
    'Greek' to me - never really checked it out, but some people seem to like it. I can't say.
    But speaking of Millennium, I have the official CD if you ever need one.

    To run Windows 7, you'll need a lot more poop than you've got now - its graphics card requires 128 Mb
    of memory just for that alone, and they recommend 1 Gb minimum of RAM.
    The good news is that it does run leaner and meaner than Vasta-Vista
    did, and only takes up half the space on the drive. My speed tests of it also show it sends and receives packets of data quite a bit faster than Vista did, and it can be used with more of the older programs than Vista could handle.

    Unless you're really sentimentally attached to that machine you have now, you might want to consider a newer one, with a larger memory and
    a graphics card that has its own
    memory for the graphics as well. That's the way everything's going these days. First they make a nice compact program that runs on nice simple, compact computers. Then, they add more and more bells & whistles, until you need a computer
    several times the original's size just to get everything up & running. And most of these so-called improvements are nice, but they aren't really all that essential for most of us who just want to surf the web, send mail, or trade pictures. But it worked in the car industry (until now) and
    so they applied engineered obsolescence to the computer industry too. I hope it doesn't suffer the same fate as the big three auto makers are facing. Sometimes, bigger really isn't better, as they've already proved.
    And here endeth my rant :)

    ReplyDelete