Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Some Housekeeping .....

Now that I've got a semi-permanent version of Windows 7 installed, I re-visited my files for the Vista Shortcut Arrow Remover 2.0 made by Frameworkx, and learned something unsettling today. I did a check to look at the Frameworkx website, and Google can't find it now. Apparently, he got lost someplace. But the good news is, his great little freeware program is still available on a couple of the sites that distribute such things - so I've updated the link here in the right margin, to take you to a site where you can still get this. Why?

Because.... these shortcuts in Windows 7 are the same as those in Vista, with their great big arrows that partly obscure my customized home-made icons (and all the others too!) and need to be trimmed down a little, or perhaps, if you wish, removed altogether - and this freeware will do exactly that. It gives you the options of keeping whatever came with the program, or replacing those big arrows with cute little smaller ones (see this image of my desktop above, and click on it for a larger view), or replace the arrows with your own creation, or remove the arrows completely and just keep the icons without any arrows.

If you choose to remove the arrows completely, Mr. Microsoft will not send you a Christmas Card, and you will have to right-click on an icon, and then click on its 'Properties' to see if it really is a shortcut or not, in case you don't have a memory like an elephant, that is. So for those of us who simply can't resist tinkering with things that the best programmers in the world chose for their finished products, this tinkering aid is still available, and my link to it still works. Enjoy yourself - have fun with it. Windows 7 is very friendly to tinkerers, and that's just one more reason I love it! Finally, an Operating System designed for its users instead of for its designers! I never thought I'd live to see the day.... There is a God after all.

2 comments: