Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Still learning how to use a camera.....

This isn't what I thought it was, but it is what's in the photo just underneath this one. I've never really checked before, but this isn't a movie production studio as I've assumed - it's the semi-famous Hollyburn Country Club, where the rich & famous go to play, and see & be seen. If you live in the rarefied air of British Properties, known to us peasants as 'Snob Hill', then this is where you go to rub elbows with your peers. And thanks to Google Earth, I've now had a look at it from above - a location formerly beyond the reach of The Common Man - just as the club itself is. I can barely imagine what goes on in there, and I certainly can't afford to find out! Which is exactly how they planned it, I'm sure.
It's pure hell being a know-it-all, especially when you don't! Here I was, merrily snapping away with my little Canon digital, and cussing it for not producing what I thought I was buying with it, and all that time, (colour my face red), I hadn't bothered to read more than three pages of their 272-page User Guide. Shame on me!

So what did I learn by reading it? Not much yet, because I'm only on page four ( just kidding!) but I now know why some of my telephoto shots have been turning out a little bit weird...... It's because I hadn't yet discovered that [Converter] setting, with its choices of two kinds of converters, including the one for my doubler-with-adapter lens, called a Tele-converter. It seems to help if the camera knows you've mounted that extra lens in front of its own zoom lens. The picture above is an example.

No comments:

Post a Comment