Thursday, April 9, 2009

This just in from Havana, Cuba....

This just in from my friend Lourdes Lopez, the head of Correspondence at Radio Havana Cuba in (where else?) Havana, saying that in May they will be celebrating their 48th Anniversary of being on the air from Havana, and asking for our comments and suggestions.

This all started because I discovered their station while surfing for streaming Internet radio, and came across their signal. I thought, "What the hell - I'll send them an email to let them know that they're reaching Canada's west coast loud and clear." And therein began a new penpal thing. Every so often, I get a short little email from Havana, just to make sure that I'm still out here, and have my ears on. I haven't the heart to tell Lourdes that my Spanish is non-existent, and unfortunately, they don't have a whole lot of programs in English - but that may change now that there's a new administration in Washington - who knows?

I'm going to try to tactfully suggest to Lourdes that she should encourage the boss to use more English programming, so that us gringos can understand more about their country. Can't hurt. We're all better off exchanging conversations rather than bombs or bullets, I figure. You can find their website here: http://www.radiohc.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment