Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Another day, another O/S installed.....

This is getting to be a habit....but I'm getting good at it. Trouble is, it takes a lot of time to get everything back to where I like it. At first, i thought I could save time by copying stuff onto disks, and then just downloading that back onto the newly-installed O/S, but I quickly discovered that it doesn't work with a lot of programs, because they've got those rigged so that you can't move them from one system into another without going back to their site for a fresh copy of it. So the idea of putting things on disks only works for stuff that doesn't involve programs - except for a few that don't seem to mind being moved around. But those usually aren't the ones you really need to get working again. So it takes some time. And I've tried a couple of registry hacks to get that Desktop Window Manager enabled, and they worked, but only for about one second at a time. It comes on and goes right back off again. Yet two days ago, using this same version of this same O/S, everything worked just fine. So it isn't likely my hardware. Very strange. Anyway, Windows 7 beta, Build 7077 has once more replaced the Windows 7 RC, Build 7100. And yes, I'm still having fun :) - and I'm going to wait a while, until they get the bugs out of that RC version before I tackle that again. Hell, I might even just wait until Win-7 hits our local stores. I just hope they don't improve the thing to death before that happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment