Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Dear Mr. Microsoft: I'm sorry! It wasn't your fault....

A couple of these blogs lately have been critical of Microsoft and Windows 7's latest versions, and I want everyone to know it wasn't the fault of the folks at Microsoft. I'm sorry I created a wrong impression about the problems I was having with the display and no DWM enabled. The fact is, my relatively recently-purchased Nvidia graphics card simply wasn't up to the task at hand, and as the development of Win-7 progressively improved, my graphics performance got progressively worse, until it failed the Windows Experience Index tests completely.

Today, it only took about ten minutes at my favorite repairman's computer shop to pull that old card out and put in a new ATI Radeon HD4350, and once i loaded it with a driver approved for both Vista and Windows 7, my graphics problems were suddenly history. So I want to apologize to the folks at Microsoft for implying it might have been their problem. We among the great unwashed masses tend to do that all too often, I suspect. They are a large target, and we're a bunch of snivellers who don't like to admit we didn't have our own acts together.

While I'm ranting on here, let me also say that Windows 7 looks really impressive on a rig that has a decent graphics card and an up-to-date driver for it. So don't be like me and put down the software until you're sure your hardware can handle the latest goodies coming down the road from Redmond. You could end up apologizing for it, just like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment