Friday, May 1, 2009

It's May, already....

And the neighbour's back yard is looking very nice. If I had their email address, I'd send them some pictures. They spend a lot of time working on the place, and it shows. People who live in high-rises like this one really appreciate a view like this, because we can't grow anything but older in here.

Speaking of 'growing older' that's all I did this morning, while I thought I was being really smart and downloading a torrent image of Windows 7 RC1. After four hours of plodding along downloading the ISO Image for it, and then turning that into a DVD suitable for using to install it, I discovered that it was one of those torrents that are infected by a Trojan - so I had to scrap the whole thing and then carefully scan the computer to make sure it hadn't been infected.

So instead of getting the jump on the public release of the RC on Tuesday, I spent what became a nervous morning making sure I hadn't turned loose a Trojan on my system. So the moral of the story is that 'haste makes waste', and I should have just settled for waiting until next Tuesday like I will be doing now anyway.

Downloading a torrent file using a torrent client like uTorrent.exe (one of the best of the top 10) can be a great way to share files over the P2P system, but it does have its hazards as I learned. Luckily, I've got three different security programs to grab the bad guys as they arrive, and today I needed them. I don't know why I got myself into all that anyway, because the build 7077 of Win-7 is working just fine, and from all reports, there aren't that many changes between it and this coming release candidate anyway. Nothing I can't get along without for another few days, for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment