Wednesday, May 6, 2009

So, what do I think of the Windows 7 RC ?

Thanks for asking. I'll try not to swear while I answer that. I think it needs a lot more work, starting with fixing the Desktop Windows Manager showing as being 'disabled' constantly. And it would be very nice if it actually showed more than a black and empty screen, devoid of taskbar, mouse, or anything else after it boots up.

The only way I could get it to show me a normal log-on screen and desktop after booting was to put it into Sleep Mode, and then wake it up out of that. When it comes out of that, it shows the normal log-on screen and background, but who the hell wants to go through all that bullshit to get it up and running, only to find that the fancy Aero transparency graphics won't work, because the Desktop Windows Manager is disabled?

I tried going onto Microsoft's site for Desktop Windows Manager, but I got an empty page with a notice reading "too busy". So I said "The Hell with this!" and grabbed my old XP Pro CD, and right now it's busy re-formatting the hard-drive on that computer, so I can put back onto it something that I know will work. Like Windows 7 beta Build 7077, for example. I should have left it alone on there yesterday, and I wouldn't be having this problem today. Sometimes, cutting-edge technology just plain sucks!

No comments:

Post a Comment