Thursday, June 4, 2009

Two birds with one shot....

These ducks almost blend in with the rock they are sitting on.

I just received the latest Microsoft Technet Newsletter, and it mentions that the Vista Service Pack Two is now available. How do I tell them that I don't need it, because I removed Vista when I installed Windows 7 when it first came out? I should also add that I've never been sorry for doing that. In fact, I think Windows 7 is the best Windows I've ever seen or used, and even though this is the release candidate version that I'm now using, it's already a better and more stable product than some of its predecessors, and I won't name those, out of respect for the feelings of the folks at Microsoft. If you haven't yet tried this new version of Windows, I can only ask, "Why not?"

I was reading on a forum today about some guy asking how he could remove Windows 7 so he could go back to Vista. Personally I can't imagine why he'd want to do that. I sure wouldn't.
I think his problem was that his security program didn't work well with Windows 7. That's because most of the major security companies weren't really on the ball when this new O/S was coming along, and they weren't ready for it. I've found ( by trial and error) that some of them don't work well, but others not yet approved work fine. I'm using Avast 4.8 Home Edition, and it works fine with Windows 7. It updates automatically, and does the usual things we expect of a good anti-virus program. And for those of you who are wondering, Yes, it does catch the bad stuff - in fact, it even warns me if I'm trying to connect to a site that has malware on it, in time for me to abort that and avoid the problem. I think that's just great.
You can find it here.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely picture! Don't laugh, I'm still using Win ME.
    I have a copy of XP Prof 64 for use at a later time. What's your opinion on XP? Apart from the fact that it becomes more and more out of date...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see you're back! What do I think of XP? I think it's great, and so do the majority of users around the world. XP is still the most popular O/S in use everywhere.
    Here's a website where you can see all the data:-
    http://marketshare.hitslink.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10

    And as you'll see on there, Windows 7 is now more popular than your ME. Incidentally, I have the official ME CD if you ever need it. And there's one or two features from it included in the new Windows 7, so you'd like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still have my original Me installing disks, but I don't want to reinstall an old system. Should my present OS get shattered at some time, I'd rather turn to buying a competely new computer, suitable for imaging and internet, and install the XP which I've also in store. Win 7 sounds good, is it a memory hog??

    I'd tend to Linux, to avoid all the Win patches against hacking crimes etc. See, criminals or even nerds want to prove that they can hack almighty windows. I don't want to be on this band wagon. I just want an OS which connects my hardware, and that's it. I'd get all other user programmes from a different source.

    Take care, Ray, see ya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Monsieur Beep -

    Windows 7 doesn't use as much of the resources as Vista did, and it works a lot better with 3rd-party programs
    like I enjoy using. It's also a lot more user-friendly than Vista.

    If you buy a new computer, get one with a quad-core processor, and about 4 gigs of RAM, and a graphics card with about 512 Mb of its own memory so it will handle today's graphics without problems.
    When the system requirements say you can run such and such an O/S on
    certain kinds of hardware, remember these are the bare minimum requirements, and you really need more than that for good performance usually.
    So give yourself something extra.
    It will be worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete