Friday, August 21, 2009

Let's go backward when forward fails....

To borrow a line from that old song 'Everything Old Is New Again'......Anyhooo.... last Sunday, the 16th, in my rant of the day here, I described a Registry hack which removes those rather large and unsightly shortcut arrows from icons on your desktop. I'm recalling this just to tell you that the same hack for the Vista Desktop also works in Windows 7.

I know, because I just replaced the Acer Empowering Technology features which I had deleted from the PC on which Windows 7 is installed (because they can be a goddamned nuisance, Mr Acer!) and as soon as those several files were replaced and installed again (like as new) and I did a reboot to get everything happy in there, back came all those icon arrows I thought I'd got rid of with that other little program. So rather than play around trying to again banish arrows from icons, I went back into Regedit -> H Key Classes Root ->lnkfile and clicked it. Then when its various attributes were displayed in the right-hand column, look for and choose IsShortcut, which is a String Value (Reg_SZ) and delete it.

Windows 7 wasn't terribly pleased during its next reboot, and momentarily flashed a blue screen at me, but then its own recovery kicked in, and it went on to show me a screen all about not shutting down properly on the last reboot (it shut down just fine, Thanks, because I've got a "Reboot" shortcut which includes the 'dash f' for 'force programs to close' - but I guess it had to say something. Anyway, choosing Start Windows normally... got everything up and going again, and without those cotton-pickin' arrows. So Win-7 is touchy about having its Registry hacked, but it does accept the changes and carries on nicely. Without arrows.

No comments:

Post a Comment