Saturday, August 29, 2009

Note re: Vista Shortcut Arrow Remover 2.0 -

I'm not entirely sure why, but this little program for removing or resizing these humungous arrows that came as factory equipment in Vista and Windows 7 happens to work a lot better and more reliably in Windows 7 than it does in the Vista it was designed for changing.

So if you have Vista (you bear for punishment, you!) and you've tried this and been less than happy with the results, cheer up! There's hope for you yet - Use it on Windows 7, and see what it was really meant to do. Still wondering why those ace coders at Microsoft reworked Vista into Windows 7? Not me.... I know exactly why they did it. It was that or watch a modern incarnation of "The Decline and Fall of The Roman Empire" as applied to the biggest software conglomerate the world has ever seen. Because us peasants who shell out hundreds of dollars per slice for that programming have become exceedingly disillusioned with the quality of the recent product, as compared to previous issues which actually worked like they were supposed to work. So they had to do something, and Windows 7 was the something they did.

Sometimes, I wonder if those guys are purposely creating a less-than-glorious product every few issues, just so we will express our gratitude and relief by buying piles of the next one that comes along, carefully engineered to correct all those glaring faults in the preceding clunker. Is this the name of the game? Does it explain 'Vasta Vista' the Edsel of operating systems? All I know for sure is that I can hardly wait for October 22nd, when Windows 7 hits the shelves at the local retailers, and I can grab a slice to install over the Vista Home Premium that came on my newest PC, just this month.

This little gem has a 64-bit system, and even though my spies tell me that the 64-bit is the wave of the future, I have news: the future isn't here yet, and this goddamned 64-bit isn't working worth a damn with the 32-bit programs I've known and loved for years on my older (but not by much) 32-bit computer, now running the 32-bit version of Windows 7. And you can't HomeGroup a Vista PC with a Windows 7 PC, because they simply aren't on good speaking terms with each other. That puzzles me, because the one is derived from the other. But getting back to this 64-bit stuff, this will teach me not to trust someone else to pick out my type of operating system for me, when I should have been making sure that each of my two PCs could share programming and operating systems of the same bit-count.

This 64-bit rig, running Vista Home Premium, includes what's called WOW64, which will theoretically adapt your old 32-bit programs into a compatibility-mode sort of semi-64-bit format so that the 64-bit system can digest them and run them alright. But one of the things this results in is two different folders for Programs; The regular folder for the native 64-bit programs, and another auxiliary folder named "x86 Programs" into which all those not-really compatible 32-bit or x86 programs go. So right off, you've got double folders for Programs. (How do you spell 'problems'?) And even though there may be no connection to that, the latest use of "sfc /scannow" reports that the system files are corrupt, and System File Protection is unable to repair them. I'm directed to a log file for details. Wonderful! I've only had this rig for two and a half weeks, and already, it's needing a re-install, and I don't have the disk for it - and I'm not buying one, because October 22nd is coming, and then it's going to be "Goodbye, Vista! May you rest in pieces!"

No comments:

Post a Comment