Thursday, August 13, 2009

Today: Off to a great start....

It's a great day for British Columbia, everybody - (to borrow an intro from Craig Ferguson, the late late night show host, and Semi-Gay Ranchero) - anyway - (get on with it, Ray!) as I'm about to say, the day's off to a roaring start: woke up to booming thunderstorm, and headed for the bathroom, where the power went off in the midst of proceedings. Have you ever tried to wipe your ass in the dark, without a flashlight, while wishing your bathroom was against an outside wall where it might have a small window so you might see what you're doing while the lights are out? - Well, that's how my day's started. I fervently hope it improves as it gets older, like good whiskey. I'm about to find out, I guess...

This tree is in the parking lot next to Hydro's John Lawson Substation in West Van, and the thing that's unusual about it is that it doesn't have needles like an ordinary evergreen, but rather those are shaped like long narrow leaves with serrated edges.

Here's a closer view of those 'needles' on this big tree. Anyone know what it is called? If so, please leave a comment on here for us.

And while I was over there, I noticed that Hydro is finally changing out one of the main power transformers at that John Lawson Substation. I say 'finally' because one of them needed changing 25 years ago, while I was working on that maintenance crew for that area - but nobody wanted to get into such a big job, so we kept giving it the old 'Band-Aid solution' and hoping it would hold together. It did - until our generation were all retired. It's nice to see the younger generation is smarter than we were, and not afraid of tackling major and very expensive upgrades. That old transformer's automatic voltage controller gave us trouble for years, and nobody could fix it, because nobody wanted to take it out of service long enough to do it properly. It's nice to see it's finally been replaced.

The thunderstorm now seems to be over, our nine-minute power outage hasn't been repeated, and it looks like peace has returned to the valley.... I think I'll have another cup of coffee.

3 comments:

  1. You´re a real blogging expert, your stories are always so interesting! So are the photos that come with them (I don´t know what flora it is, but I like the pictures).

    So you were working in the electricity section - like myself, before I changed job for the milking the cows thing, haha.

    Sorry to hear about your loo emergency... ( hehehe! )

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Monsieur Beep:

    Flattery will get you anywhere!
    Actually, I puzzled for quite a while over how to insert a picture into the midst of a section of text.
    The trick i finally stumbled onto is to let it load at the top above everything, then highlight it by right-clicking, which shows it with a border and square dots. You can then copy it, and paste it under the section of text where you want it. Then delete that original at the top of the blog,
    so you're left with just the one copy of it, where you wanted it.

    So...(pardon me for asking) but how does a former electrician become a milkman with all kinds of 'pull'? Was it a big M-O-O-O-ve?

    Many years ago, back east, I once met a quiet unassuming 'milkman' at a fishing camp. Turned out that he wasn't exactly into milking the cows. He owned a big dairy operation down in the USA someplace. The hired help did the milking, while he went fishing.
    He had fished all over the world, and had a million stories about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That´s an interesting story about the fishing milkman, haha!

    During my training as a glider pilot back in 1981 I met a mate who was working as a milk recorder ( recording and summing up the performance of the cows ), I liked her job, applied for a vacancy, and changed job! For a half of the money I had earned before, when I had been working in the sales dep of a big German electrical concern.

    Doing a job as a keg in a big gearbox no longer had been satisfying me, also back problems had arisen because of sitting at the desk all day long.

    I´ve never regretted my decision.
    I actually record the results of the milkings with a PDA and transmit them to the central lab. I´m not doing the milking myself, but should I ever been alone with a cow in the outback, I won´t get hungry or thirsty haha: I can milk a cow!

    Inserting a photo:
    Try doing the following: Write some text. If you want to insert the photo somewhere in the flow of the text, press enter (positions the cursor at the beginning of a new line), press the "insert picture icon" on the bar at the top, and upload photo, which should then be placed in its proper place.
    This procedure would save you the drop and drag and delete procedure.

    Mooohoo.
    (I love cows!)

    ReplyDelete