Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Another freebie - but it didn't work for me....

The problem I had with this is that it asks some rather ambiguous or confusing questions at the beginning, to get itself configured to look at your present setup of Services. Then, when it collects that information and does an automatic adjustment, it turns off some things that I did not want interrupted, like my Internet connection, for starters... Fortunately, Vista can do its own repair on the Local Area Connection, and that came back on alright. But it also shut off some security because it thought I didn't want the factory-equipment Windows security items running alongside my third-party ones. So that had to be re-started, too. By the time I got all that done, I'd decided that I didn't need this aggravation - it's really simpler to just go into Administrative Tools -> Services and select individual ones, and then click on Properties of that, and check for its dependencies, and decide whether you need it in Manual, or Automatic, or Disabled - and then move on to the next. There's a whole bunch of them, and it will take some time to go through the whole list, but when you're done, you'll have your Vista (or Windows 7 or XP) tuned to exactly the ways you want it, according to the features that you're using and not using. And you won't have to reset your Internet connection afterward, unless you've cut off something you shouldn't have stopped. And you'll find that out soon enough - trust me. Have I ever lied to you ?

No comments:

Post a Comment