Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Your last real estate purchase....


Just might look something like this, rather than the more old-fashioned cemetery plots that were common many years ago. Our local cemetery back home was across the street from the home where I grew up, and it covered a lot of ground on top of a very windy hill overlooking a wide shallow valley of farmlands. From in there, you had one of the best views in town of the countryside around it, but there wasn't one of those buried in there who ever enjoyed it. Only those who came to visit them could see it, and your importance in this life didn't seem to make much difference when it came to receiving visitors after you got moved into the cemetery. Sure, the bigwigs had fancy funerals, with lots of flowers and carloads of mourners and all that, but afterward, most of them were just as forgotten as anyone else. So fancy headstones sitting on relatively ostentatious bits of land in there didn't guarantee any regular visits from former friends or relatives. Those were mostly a statement of their owner's ego, or the pretentiousness of his family. Being the double-distilled nobody that I am, I don't need any of that. I just want a spot that's out of the way, and overlooking a nice pond full of water lilies and small fish. Somewhere quiet where I can't smell anyone trying to barbecue a goat or a camel or some other roadkill. Someplace that reminds me of the Canada of my youth, and perhaps evokes memories of another cemetery where I once played Cowboys and Indians with my cousin and our pals.
 

1 comment:

  1. Before this post gets pushed down toward the bottom of the pile, I would like to add here that if any of you in the Vancouver, B.C. area
    would like some help deciding on final arrangements for yourself or other family members, Cliff Eschner
    at 604-219-6357 is the one to call.
    Cliff is a very helpful and experienced advisor in all aspects of making final arrangements, and he makes it easy to do something that most of us tend to be afraid to tackle, or put off longer than we perhaps should. If I'm describing you here, then maybe you should call Cliff.

    ReplyDelete