Saturday, October 10, 2009

A little this, a little that - mostly that...


Today's Snow Report: Summer continues, Folks! And we're lovin' it, I must add.

And this is Ralph, one of our downtown, big-city, I'll-yell-until-you-feed-me crows. This is what I get for tossing out bread to a couple of nesting crows in a treetop down below my window here about five years ago. It started a whole colony of them, and now, nobody around here needs an alarm clock. And we aren't allowed shotguns so forget that idea. Seriously, these little guys make better neighbors than some of the other tenants in these high-rise condos here. A better type of wildlife too. They don't keep me up with slamming doors and loud partying sometimes until 1:30 or 2:00 A.M. - and I hate loud parties when I'm not invited.

The newly concreted driveway and walks are looking good, and already have begun collecting stains from parked vehicles, even before the original purchaser gets to do it.

How about those TV commercials, eh? What kind of girl lets her boyfriend paw her nice smooth leg in public, even if she does use the latest hair-removal product? And how many of you think Jay Leno should not only sit down, but shut the hell up? And who told Conan O'Brien he's funny? And what's it say about Letterman's show, when he has to ask his audience "How many of you still want to see me?" Fewer and fewer, Dave - fewer and fewer. Trust me - would I lie to you? 

I finished my fall 'housecleaning' today. Among other things, I cleaned off the top of the upper kitchen cupboards - the ones I can never ordinarily reach from the floor without a stool. I seldom use a stool in the kitchen, because it's very small, and if I stand on a stool in there, I must be very careful not to bang my head on a big recycled lighting fixture that I moved there from its former location downstairs in the Big Blue Bin. When I finally got up on the stool for a look at the top of those cupboards, I had to make a big decision: 'Do I go to a lot of work to clean all this, or do I simply add some fertilizer to this topsoil being formed by the collected dust & dirt, and plant some veggies?' I cleaned it, reluctantly, while imagining a nice little patch of greenery handy to the stove and the sink. I could install grow lights, trays of topsoil, a drain joining the one under the sink, and enjoy some fresh lettuce, or herbs, or maybe hothouse tomatoes....I can almost taste them now.

No comments:

Post a Comment