Saturday, November 7, 2009

More musings from 'Oldest Living Blogger'.....


I woke up much too early this morning - like just after 3:00 AM. That's probably my own fault though, because I went to bed too early, too - around 7:30 PM. I find that when I'm here at the computer keyboard, and nodding off over it, then the best thing to do is lie down before I fall off the chair and hurt myself. See what you've got to look forward to when you get into the 'Old Fart' category? 


Anyway, I awoke around three-something this morning, with the TV still yattering away at me, with some PBS program about quilting. I wondered, 'how many people are going to set their clocks to get them up at three in the morning to watch some handicrafts expert demonstrating how to use a fancy sewing machine to embroider copies of people's photos onto little squares for assembly into a quilt?' The thread alone these days costs a bundle, not to mention that high-priced machine the gal was using to replicate those photos onto the quilt patches. To make a quilt that way, you'd need to be bored cross-eyed and a millionaire's wife, and have more time on your hands than you knew what to do with.

One advantage to waking up really early out here on the wet west coast though is that you can read all the internet editions of the big eastern papers, and get off your emails to their columnists or editors before their day, being three hours later there, is too far gone. If I get my 'feedback' out early enough, I often get a reply. And I'd be lying if I said that I'm not impressed by replies from some of the country's most famous media personalities. This has to be a great country, when a guy like me can exchange ideas and mail with some of the movers and shakers who provide us with our best insights into what's happening in the world today. I think that's just wonderful, and worth getting up early.

No comments:

Post a Comment