Thursday, December 3, 2009

Another short story about a computer...


But first, here's a look at our local billionaire's seasonal light display, taken with the Pentax X70 at maximum optical zoom. It came out quite well, I think.

And here's that same scene in the daylight, just for comparison.
 
Now for the computer tale:
Yesterday, I found an update to an older program I've had for years which promises to find and remove trojans. While getting that all done, I used it to scan the machine, and it found a file it said was a trojan, but it couldn't clean it because it couldn't open it. Wonderful. It had also picked on a file which happens to have been a normal part of Windows ever since back in the XP days, years ago. So I was more than a bit curious about what was really going on.

I have Avast 4.8 Home as my regular anti-virus so I set that for a thorough scan of the drive, and it found an entirely different trojan, which kept jumping from one file to another in six different programs, until finally trapped and locked up in the virus vault. During all that, it had replicated itself 25 times, and trashed parts of those six programs, which then had to be deleted. But the good news is that Avast 4.8 Home Edition did get it locked up eventually, and another thorough scan showed no problems. So if you want a security program that really works, get Avast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment