Thursday, December 10, 2009

Doing more reading about Windows 7...

I made a disappointing discovery today, while reading a popular blog about Windows written by a guy with his nose inside Microsoft's inner sanctum. Apparently, I can't simply do an ordinary upgrade from the RC version of Windows 7 to the retail version I bought recently. I have to go through a whole process of copying that DVD onto the PC, then editing a certain file to trick it into thinking it isn't doing what I'm about to make it do, and then do it.

Am I worried? Not at all - I've installed and re-installed this so often already I'm getting good at it now, and if all else fails, I can always do the clean install bit and then re-install all the programs and files - which is a real pain in the ass, I must say. I had hoped that after months of testing this thing, they'd make it easier for us to install the final version, but I was wrong. It's too bad I can't simply keep the test version, but that will be de-activated by Microsoft in a few months. Meanwhile, I have to get ready to make the change, whether I want to or not, I guess.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment