Friday, December 4, 2009

If you use Firefox.....



Then you should get this add-on for it.  Why? Because: there's a new kind of cookie called an LSO which normally remains hidden on your machine, and never expires, and it allows its sender to track your information without you knowing it is there. Your normal cleaning process for regular cookies will not remove these LSO ones. So you need this little add-on to root them out and get rid of them, or give you the option of keeping certain ones if you want to do that. 

I've had this on one computer for a while, but not on my other one until yesterday. As an example of what this does, before I installed it on the other machine, I did a cookie search and removal of the normal cookies, removing them all. After I installed BetterPrivacy on it, it discovered and removed 18 more items that couldn't be found by normal means. So if you are concerned about being spied on by things you don't even know are on there, then  you should have this. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6623 

2 comments:

  1. Although I don't have a Windows machine any more (but the missus does) your information on viruses and Trojans are so useful. I also used to have avast on my closed-down machine. I'll keep listening to your advices and will install avast and more on the machine of the missus, when she joins the Internet community which will happen in January or so.
    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your weekend too, Monsieur!

    ReplyDelete