Friday, December 11, 2009

A little more about upgrading your Windows....

As you may have read somewhere in a Microsoft site, if you install new Windows over an older version, then during the upgrading process, your previous Windows files usually get saved in the new installation as a folder called 'Windows.old'. The purpose of that weird extension '.old' is so that those files won't get used in the present installation, and we're told that we can't actually use what's in them.

Not exactly, Folks - what they mean is that whatever's in there can't actively interact with the stuff you upgraded to in the newer setup. But if there's something in there that you want to keep, you can. For example, after I got the new Windows 7 Home Premium up and running, I went looking for the Themes folder normally found at (your username) \AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Themes\ for the monitor's backgrounds displays. Guess what? It wasn't there! I had to create the Themes folder there. So then I went looking for the old Themes folder inside those Windows.old files, because I had some nice  themes that I'd made up from my own pictures. I found them, and decided to move all that into the new Themes folder in this new setup. A simple drag-and-drop did it. So now my old Themes are back and working again. So don't throw out your Windows.old folder until you're sure there's nothing in it that you might want to keep using.

No comments:

Post a Comment