Saturday, December 5, 2009

A moon shot...


This is what a small digital camera with a good long zoom can do, and the camera used is a Pentax X70.

I had an interesting time last evening. Tried to delete a program whose trial period had expired, and which had quit working. It didn't want to leave, and when it did, something went terribly wrong, and suddenly I had no icons nor thumbnails anywhere, and in my photo files, there were just empty frames where there should have been small images. 

I tried everything - removed and renewed the IconCache.db, reinstalled the graphics card driver, used System Restore several times, but none of that fixed everything. Adding to the problem, for a while it seemed like the computer couldn't recognize its DVD Drive. But I finally got that solved by using Task Manager's File menu,  New Task (Run) to get the Windows install DVD started, and then going through the whole process of re-installing the operating system. And while we're on that subject, yes, you can do an Upgrade install over an already-installed Windows 7 RC, instead of having to replace all your programs & files. That was the one good thing about all that last night. 

While I was doing all that, I also cleaned out a few things from the system. For example, I replaced the Avast 4.8 Home Edition which had those 25 bad files locked up in its vault with a fresh copy that has an empty vault, and also got rid of a couple of other things that I wasn't really using much. So it wasn't entirely a wasted evening, but almost.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment