Monday, January 18, 2010

It's one of those Mondays....

Some guy on the radio says this is supposed to be the worst Monday of the year, because of broken resolutions, bills from Christmas, gloomy weather, and maybe your job.

Actually, he wasn't even close. I got up at 4:30 AM for my early bathroom trip, and when I got there, the power went off. I made it back to bed alright, and woke up again just as it was getting daylight. There's nothing like firing up the portable camp stove on the deck to boil a pot of water for your first hot coffee of the day, really. I was just halfway through my second cup when the power came back on, and then I had to reset everything. That's becoming a nuisance these days with all our gadgets and toys. Speaking of that, someone wrote recently that it takes about seven or eight percent of our power these days just to keep everything on standby, whether we're using it or not. If we think of everything with little indicator lights telling us it's on or ready to be used, that's not so far-fetched.

And my 'campfire coffee' was just delicious. I'm trying not to think of the fact that back in the old days, when I worked for the local power company, it didn't take us three and a half hours to get the power back on in a building not more than half a mile from two different main substations. That's not what I'd call 'performance'. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment