Wednesday, March 17, 2010

About adding another player into your PC -

After I got the computer home from the shop with its new Blu-ray Player installed, I made an interesting discovery. A regular DVD Player can't play Blu-ray discs, but a Blu-ray Player can play regular DVDs. The difference in them is that a regular DVD Player uses a red laser, and the Blu-ray, as its name implies, uses a blue laser.  I suspect it has something to do with the wavelength or frequency of each, but I don't know exactly what each one's is.

All I know for sure is that the next time I grab a movie off the bargain counter bin without reading its fine print, it won't matter whether it's a regular DVD or a Blu-ray, I'll still be able to play it in my favourite computer, which now has a player of each type installed. There's something to be said for the large size enclosures of PCs made up until 2008, because these do accept two players  whereas the newer PCs like my other one with its smaller enclosure only has barely enough space for one DVD player, and that's mounted on its edge along one side of the case, rather than on the flat like we've had in the past. I don't like that, because I'm always afraid the disc will fall out of it while it is opening or closing. It never has yet, but I worry about it, and that annoys me.

No comments:

Post a Comment