Tuesday, March 23, 2010

What if you can't remove something from Programs & Features?

I like to download various programs from the web, and sometimes, as with Apple's program called Apple Software Updates, I couldn't get that entry off the list in Windows 7's Programs & Features page (formerly Add/Remove Programs) no matter what I tried. I went through the files everywhere I thought they might be hiding, such as the hidden folder 'Username\App Data\' and 'C:\Program Data\Apple' or 'C:\Program data\ Apple Computer' ( I had both) and deleted all that stuff. Still couldn't get rid of that entry on Programs & Features. Then I got lucky....

If you have that kind of problem, download this Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and run it as an Administrator. When it shows you a list of programs it will remove, carefully select only the one you want removed, because it could remove them all, and you'd have real problems. Once you have selected it (in my case 'Apple Software Update') simply click on the 'Remove' button which becomes activated after you make a selection from that list. After you click on 'Remove' you can close the Cleanup Utility. A check on the Programs & Features window will show that the one you wanted removed is now gone from that list. The Score -> Microsoft  1,  Apple 0.

No comments:

Post a Comment