Saturday, April 24, 2010

As long as I'm up anyway -

As long as I'm up anyway to make sure the bathroom's still there, and maybe have a coffee to give me an excuse to visit it again soon, maybe I'll babble for a minute or so here....

Dear Mr. Google: Your new Blogger program has possibilities, but it's far from a done deal just yet. For example: What's with the font selections? Why can't I get a font that will stay chosen as my default font until I'm all done making corrections to the body of the post, instead of having it magically (and exasperatingly) revert to its own default during corrections for the various bloopers I'm always making here? Why is it so difficult to arrange for the font to stay set at whatever the user chooses until the user changes it to something else, or quits the program? As long as I'm bitching anyway, may I also add that your word-wrap doesn't seem to work worth a shit. Most of the time, if I want to have a finished result which looks like it was intended to be read, I have to go back through the whole written text, line by line, and at the ends of each of the lines, use the backspace/space trick to get the words at the end of the line to continue their correct spacing into the next line. If left alone, as first typed, these often end up with one line being a normal length, and another containing only a partial line's number of words. So the text looks like hell, and is difficult to read. Please fix this word wrap feature so that it actually results in a readable text, with each line a full column's width. Maybe I'm peculiar, but I'd like to concentrate on the writing, not on the formatting.

Moving right along here, (may we?) watching the old boob tube today I think maybe I've figured out what's been causing all this global warming we keep hearing so much about....

I think it's all that heat being released by the decomposing bullshit being generated everywhere by these advertising types, and in particular, the outrageous crap being fed to us by those car advertisers. Look at it this way: the Big Three recently went flat-assed broke - bankrupt - busted. Why? Because they were flogging fancy cream-puffs that nobody really needed and most of us would rather not afford. They were making gas-guzzlers that don't give us any better mileage than Grandpa got in the Dirty Thirties from his Hupmobile sedan. Now, magically, after a government bailout with massive amounts of taxpayer bucks suddenly these same gas-guzzlers are, with the change of a commercial, able to deliver fantastic mileage to the would-be purchaser. The hell they can! And if they really can, why couldn't they a few months ago? Have the oil companies suddenly decided they don't want to sell their oil and gas after all? Does bullshit really baffle brains? Or make the grass grow greener? Can pigs fly? Were you born yesterday? Do you believe everything you see in those fancy commercials? I fervently hope not! Lastly, why should a four-passenger car need an engine producing 300 horsepower? About 200 of that is probably being wasted, but it's guzzling fuel and making more pollution than we really need.

4 comments:

  1. 55 horses here, three pistons haha!
    (;-))

    ..just wanted to wish you a pleasant week, Ray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "55 horsepower, 3 cylinders"...
    Would that be a Suzuki Swift?

    Mine is a 132 Hp - 4 cylinders,
    in a 1997 Chrysler Neon, now extinct. But mine's been pampered, and not driven much, so it still runs fine. It ought to - it only has slightly more than 40,000 Kms on it since new in May of 1997. I'm trying to make it last longer than I do. So far, so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nah it's a Vauxhall (=Opel) Corsa. A very good car. 160,000 km on the clock in some 5 years.
    I drive a lot because I love cruising along highways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I drive a lot because I love cruising along highways."

    Ah, The Autobahn! Over here we call it "the freeway" even when it really isn't. Some now have tolls, but not around here.

    I used to love cruising the highway too, but after a few dozen different vehicles, and several times falling asleep behind the wheel, usually with disastrous results, my enthusiasm waned.

    Then, at the beginning of the 1980s I discovered motorcycles, and began flying down the road on my trusty Kawasaki - usually a new
    one each spring for several years,
    until I got onto one that was more than a match for my abilities and lack thereof. Doing 230 Km/Hr on a
    Ninja is nothing like cruising down the road in the family car, trust me. Once you've done that, the family car is just transportation for doing the chores.

    ReplyDelete