Sunday, April 11, 2010

These free email programs: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly....


Guess whose email program died during its last most-recent upgrading, and guess which one it was...... and that profane grumbling in the background? That's me practicing what I'd say to those hackers who love to improve the hell out of their prefabricated style sheets, while neglecting to ask themselves whether or not this goddamned thing is going to run when it's done!!!

I can replace my whole operating system from scratch including re-formatting the hard-drive, re-installing the operating system, and be back on the web in about 40 or maybe 45 minutes, but I haven't been able to get this mess going again in two days of installing, configuring, getting told "There is an error and the POP3 Server replies" - Replies what? That message terminates right where it ought to be informing me of what the error code is, or where from, or anything intelligent that might allow me to troubleshoot the installation until I find why it refuses to accept the same information with which it ran during its previous versions.

These guys have taken a perfectly-good email program - a world-class program, and improved it with fancy add-ons, until like the automotive industry lately they've forgotten how to make it go down the road - the only real reason we were interested in it in the first goddamned place. Forget those fancy bells and whistles, Kiddies - this isn't General Motors! This is a program for actually saying something intelligent to somebody else who isn't interested in impressing his peers with his skills as an interior decorator. We just want to exchange information sometime today - not next week, or only if the ISP isn't too busy, or your quota hasn't yet been exceeded. Doesn't ANYBODY know how to play this goddamned game???

The GOOD NEWS is - Gmail beats the living shit out of these creampuff programs that look tasty but can't get your birthday greetings to your poor old aunt Nellie until the old gal's 102 and has one foot in the grave and the other firmly planted on a banana skin.....Shame on you, and you know who you are!

3 comments:

  1. Hehe...
    I loved reading your swearing (so there was no need for me to do it haha) but I'd have loved eeeeven more listening to the grumbling Ray haha!

    I think it's time to shoot another flower photo - you're good at that!

    Have a good week Ray.
    Please visit me on flickr (mister beep). I constantly upload new images, the latest being about an old lady friend where I used to spend my holidays in the 1980, in one of the German North Sea islands...

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Monsieur Beep:

    die achtziger Jahre Mädchen wurden wild!
    Am besten ausbrennen, nicht rosten!

    Would I lie to you?

    Enjoy your week too, Monsieur -
    This is the week I become radioactive and have the sorest ass in Canada... at least for a while. I'm hoping that the advanced publicity of it is worse than its bite, but I'm going to find out for sure starting tomorrow morning (Tuesday) at 07:45 so if you don't hear from me for a day or so, that will be why.
    I'll be recovering from brachytherapy for prostate cancer.

    ReplyDelete