Sunday, May 23, 2010

The Foxgloves are in bloom - can summer be far off ?


The Foxgloves are blooming beside the walk in between buildings across the street, and Summer can't be far away now - we fervently hope!

I also hope those remodeling fanatics over there don't decide to remodel the spot where these are growing. They look very nice, and bring back pleasant memories of rides in the country on my motorcycle years ago. On one of those, I collected a pocketful of seeds from several of these plants, and then riding further along the road, scattered those in the wind behind me. There's now more of them in different places along there. One of my favourite flowers.



_________________________________________

3 comments:

  1. A modern day "Johnny Apple Seed"...That's a great little story...I wish I had done similar...Maybe I still will...Not on a motorcycle of course...(but I'd sit in a side car...)

    I remember reading about President Johnson's wife,Lady Bird Johnson starting a movement to spread wild flowers along the nation's highways...I thought that was a great thing to do...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many years ago now, on a cross-Canada trip by car, I stopped on the prairie in the middle of nowhere and took a picture of the Brown-eyed Susans growing wild all along the shoulder of the highway, for as far was the eye could see.

    If I find that picture, and if it scans into the computer well enough, I'll try to remember to post it here for you.

    What do you mean by "Not on a motorcycle of course"? - You just haven't lived until you've enjoyed the wind in your face and the bugs in your teeth at twice the speed limit on a good fast bike! It's as close to flying as you can get on the ground, and occasionally, you actually do fly a little. It's the landings that are the tricky part.
    I've left pieces of ass on some of the most interesting corners in this part of the country - and I'm here to tell you there's no fool like an Old Fool, because you just can't beat Experience!

    Enjoy your day, Uncle Ron!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ray, I'm not familiar with the name Foxglove. Are they the flowers that are growing tall with the flowers at the top, in your picture?

    ReplyDelete