Tuesday, May 25, 2010

"Good Morning, Mr. & Mrs. America, and all the ships at sea...."

Why the strange intro this morning? - Just for the hell of it, Kiddies. It's an old, old phrase once used by the columnist and broadcaster Walter Winchell whose columns were syndicated in over 2,000 newspapers worldwide, and were read by some fifty million people a day from the 1920s until the early 1960s. His radio broadcasts on Sunday evenings, from which this heading is approximated, were usually opened with the phrase "Good Evening, Mr. and Mrs. America, and all the ships at sea. This is Walter Winchell with your evening's news...". That opening line was usually heard by about 20 million listeners from the 1930s until into the 1950s. His radio show also had some catchy sound effects to accent the intro.

Now then, so much for that! Finding something different for a heading to these isn't always easy, as we learn from doing a few of them.

Today's 'Question Everything' is:- "Do you usually purchase the extra service or warranty extension along with a new appliance or vehicle?" I usually don't, but in a recent purchase of a new TV, I did get their 5-year extended service plan, and I'm glad that I did, because here it is only 3 years later, and the TV is not doing its usual thing. What's wrong with it? Several of its channels are displaying an image which is 'jittering' or jumping rapidly up & down instead of holding steady.

In days of yore, when we were all much younger, TV sets had user-operated buttons to adjust things like 'Horizontal Hold', 'Vertical Hold', and so on, but now all that is incorporated into an Integrated Circuit or 'IC' which has no user-adjustable controls. It either works or it don't, and when it don't, you take it to a technician who removes it from its motherboard, and replaces it with a new one. Sounds expensive. I'm glad I spent the money on that extra 5 years of servicing. All I have to do now is find out if they'll actually fix the damned thing.

"So," you ask, "Who made that mess anyway?" I thought you'd never ask - it's a 27-inch Toshiba, and it was new on the 10th of January 2007, so it isn't old enough yet to be dying on the job. I always thought Toshiba made pretty good stuff. I know they used to, but then a lot of people used to but don't now. We can't judge today's quality by how they did it ten or fifteen or twenty years ago because there's a whole new flock of workers in strange lands doing it now, and they obviously need further training, or cleaner hands, or newer glasses, or better lunches, or a slightly slower-running assembly line, or all of the above. Because....? I think you know the answer to that. Nobody wants to pay hundreds of dollars for something that's not worth dragging home and setting up on the table - especially when it weighs 88.2 pounds (40 kilos) and you're older than the discovery of nuclear fission. 



__________________________________________

12 comments:

  1. "Walter Winchell"
    "Horizontal Hold" "Vertical Hold"
    "older than the discovery of nuclear fission."

    Gee Ray, feeling a little down today? I mean this is clearly showing your age... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Tommy:-

    A little down today? Me? Nah!

    I haven't been laid since 1983, but
    it doesn't effect me - effect me - effect me - effect me......

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Do you usually purchase the extra service or warranty extension along with a new appliance or vehicle?"

    I get one if it's a large expensive item like a TV or $400.00 Digital camera...not for a toaster, etc....

    My mom and dad always listened to Walter Winchel...They loved the radio...Dad listened to the fights...He said that Walcott beat Joe Lewis the in their first bout in 1947 (I was 11 years old then) that went 15 rounds with a split decision...But they gave it to Lewis...Walcot was 33 years od then...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Uncle Ron -

    Here's what Wikipedia says about that fight...

    On December 5, 1947, he fought Joe Louis, at thirty three years of age breaking the record as the oldest man to fight for the world heavyweight title. Despite dropping Louis in round one, and once again in round four, he lost a 15 round split decision. Most ringside observers and boxing writers felt Walcott deserved the win, and so there was a rematch on June 25, 1948, when Louis prevailed once again, this time by a knockout in round 11.

    My Dad also loved the radio, in his case a Stromberg-Carlson mantel model which was huge - about two feet or so wide, over a foot high, and over a foot deep.
    It had the AM Band and several bands of Short Wave. Dad rigged up a long outdoor antenna on poles in
    the back yard, complete with a lightning arrester on the lead-in,
    and we got programs from almost everywhere. Walter Winchell, and all the big network broadcasts from the U.S. (we were in northern Ontario, Canada) and also stuff like the BBC on Short Wave. It was
    great, listening to all those sound effects and then using our own imaginations to fill in the scenes that were supposed to be taking place in shows like The Green Hornet, or The Shadow, or Fibber McGee & Molly. Those were definitely 'the good old days'.

    Today's TV, by comparison, is nothing to talk about - most programs are just bait for the commercials, and the commercials are about as exciting as three-day-old cowshit!

    Enjoy your day :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are FUNNY man...

    My favorite part of Fibber Magee and Molly every week was when he went to open the hall closet...

    Amos and Andy was also a favorite of the family...

    And don't forget Jack Benny and Rochester...

    And last but not least was George Burns and Gracie Allen...

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Uncle Ron -

    Have I got a website for you!

    http://www.doctormacro.com/

    Check out the old radio shows and some of the listings with recorded
    songs from back when.

    I can still hear those things falling out of Fibber McGee's closet.
    Or somebody on Amos & Andy saying something like: "Kingfish! Get yo' black ass off dat pool-table!"
    Or Jack Benny yelling "RAW-CHESTER!!" and the answer,
    "Coming, Boss!" - and whatever happened to Dennis Day?
    Or George & Gracie:
    George: "Gracie, do you know how many Texans it takes to screw in a light-bulb?"
    Gracie: "How did they get in there, George?"

    Ah, the good old days!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a great web site Ray...

    I will be going there on a regular basis...

    My best friend (Felix) who I haven't seen in person for over 10 years lives up in Virginia...I talk to him almost every day for 20 minutes to a half hour...He is the funniest man I know...

    Ysterday I told him about your blog and that you enjoyed taking pictures from you windows with your telephoto lens of the changes of seaons and neighbors goings on ,etc. and he said (knowing that I'm also a photo nut)..."You two guys must be Shutter Buddies"

    I told him that he just coined a new word(s)....I had never heard that before...Have you?

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Uncle Ron -

    Re: 'Shutter Buddies' - nope, never heard that one before, but it's better than 'Shutter Buggers'!

    Glad you're enjoying Doctor Macro's website - it's a dandy, and there are lots of parts to it, so take your time, and enjoy them all.

    Do you have a blog or a website?
    (Where do you post your pictures?)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just click on my name and go to my blog...(Uncle Ron's Blog) I thought you had already been there...

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Uncle Ron -

    " I thought you had already been there..."

    I probably have, but with everything else that's been happening lately, I just forgot. It goes with getting old I think - anyway that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

    In the middle of sorting all this out yesterday, I got a call from the optometrist's office about my annual eye test & new glasses routine. Seems to me they're moving that date ahead a bit every year. It used to be in June or July
    and now it's in May. Maybe I'm getting old, but I can still count to 12 without taking my shoes off.

    I told the nice young gal that I'd get back to them after I resolve a few other things, like my upcoming visit to the Cancer Center for more testing. Having 20-20 vision isn't going to do me a lot of good if all I'm going to see with it is a sign saying "Welcome to the Hereafter! Take a number and be seated. Someone will attend to you shortly." ( The seat has no cushion and I can already smell smoke!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Few Months ago i went for a check up in the hospital, the doctor took my blood for test and told me to come after 3 days for the results, after 3 days passed i went back to the hospital for the results,and it was then the doctor told me that i was diagnosed with HIV virus.
    On that very day i was left with no happiness and everything in life became meaningless to me, i began to think on how i could get rid of this virus from my body, i decided to go on internet and do some research, while i was surfing the internet i came across some good testimonials on how Dr Idahosa has been using his herbal medicine to treat and save different patients from various diseases and infections, i also saw someone who was commenting on how she was cured from HIV with the medicine.
    To me i never believed in them, that was the first time to come across something like that, i just decided to try it out if it did really worked!
    They gave the contact details of Dr Idahosa and i copied his email and later that night i sent him a message concerning my health.
    He later gave me a response and then we talked about the medicine and he said to me he was going to send the medicine to my home address and that he needed my address of where i reside.
    I sent him all he requested for in other to get the medicine ready for me, and after 3 days i received a mail from the Post Office and to my surprised it was the herbal medicine from Dr Idahosa.
    He explained to me on how i was to take the medicine, he said i was to take 2 times daily for 14 days, i followed exactly as i was told, before he sent me the medicine he said that i should go for check up after finish drinking the medicine, so after i finished the medicine i went back to the hospital for check up and to my greatest surprise again i was told that i am negative, i know someone would not believed this, but it did happened to a brother like me, i have always dreamed of living in good health again, thank god everything went well for me and thank god for Dr Idahosa Miracle Healing Medicine, you can reach Dr Idahosa at { dridahosasolutioncenter@gmail.com } or call his whatssap on +2348134261542, friends this man has a cure to all human disease, do not believe in medical drugs, let try some Natural Remedy.
    Forever remain grateful Doc....

    ReplyDelete