Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Trying out Microsoft's 'ICE' - Image Composite Editor


In it's actual size, this image is 1930 pixels wide by 2242 pixels high, made up from four images taken from a Canon G9 on a small tripod sitting on my windowsill, and the curvature is because the camera, being tilted or rotated from bottom to top through images one to four is seeing the scene as if it were projected on a big sphere.

The sides are a little strange but when everything in it is compared to everything else in it, then all the objects are in their true relationships to each other, and in this one, that powerline along the street in the lower portion of it is properly straight-lined, and the edges of nearby roofs are also not bent out of shape as with the previous view in another posting, done with the program Autostitch. The Autostitch version is from an early demo of it, and this 'ICE' version is obviously a much more sophisticated interpretation of that concept, offering much more variable fine tuning, without loss of detail. In the ICE program itself, it's surprising how this large image can be manipulated to show various perspectives of it. That must be seen to be appreciated.

And of course, this blending of four images went very smoothly, and was done almost instantly as I dropped the images into the program's main window. So they really have automated this whole process, and good on them! I can't hardly wait to try it with a larger number of images.

__________________________________________________

5 comments:

  1. When did you get a Canon G9? They retail from $1199.95 (Amazon) to $295.00 (used)...I always thought you were using your Pentax X70...Did I misss a post or two?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Uncle Ron -

    I think you have your Canons confused because the G9 wasn't that
    expensive new in 2008. I can't find the sales slip now, but I think I paid around $500.00 for it, and then bought a doubler lens and adapter to fit over the zoom, and that was another $170.00 or so. Maybe you're thinking of their EOS line of full sized cameras. This is a compact, with 12.1 Megapixels, and a 6X optical zoom.
    I got it before the Pentax X70, and it takes better quality pictures than the Pentax does. The Pentax has a longer zoom, but it takes grainy pictures with a lot of noise in them using higher zooms. For sharp images, you can't beat the Canon.

    So, to review:- I have an old Pentax film camera (105R, 3X zoom),
    a Canon Ixus-30 (Powershot 200), a Canon G9, and the Pentax X70. The digitals came after I quit smoking with the money I was saving on cigarettes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ray for updating me on your camera equipment...Just think how more you would have now if you had quit smoking earlier... LOL

    I found the G9 at Amazon here:

    http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-G9-Digital-Stabilized/dp/B000V1VG5G

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Uncle Ron -

    I'm emailing you a copy of my original sales slip for the camera and a battery and SDHC card. As you will see, the prices shown on that Amazon site you pointed me to are really out of line! Those guys are really trying to rip people off at such an outrageous price. My Canon G9 was purchased brand-new for this local authorized Canon dealer for $479.98 plus tax - so $1199.95 is just a wee bit out of line, wouldn't you say?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ray this is very cool! I haven't tried stitching any pics together! Seems like a COOL idea to do a square in addition to panoramas! Looks GREAT, as well! :-)

    ReplyDelete