Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Another invention of mine.....


This building is now 37 years old, and its fixtures are from the early 1970s, and there have been a few advances in lighting technology since then..... including one or two that I've made for myself. All these fixtures were designed to cast their light directly around a room, causing bright spots and dim spots, and glare on any shiny surface you might be trying to look at - like a monitor screen, or the keys on a keyboard. So I grabbed some handy junk, and put together this one which uses the ceiling as a reflector and diffuser. It's basically a plastic bowl, lined with aluminum foil, shiny side up, to bounce the light from two bulbs onto the ceiling, from where it spreads around the room very nicely. Maybe it looks like hell, but it works better than anything that came with the place, and now I don't need an eye shade to keep the glare off my glasses. Works for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment