Saturday, November 20, 2010

First snowfall in the city this winter....


A flash image out the window showing how thick it is out there.....


Looking down toward the parking lot across the street......


The view across the street without the flash creating interference. It's not a full-blown blizzard by any means, but you'd be surprised at how just a little snow or slush on our streets here can cause absolute chaos in the traffic. These local yokels, for all their supposed expertise in skiing or other winter sports, seem to have absolutely no clue about winter driving techniques or how to prepare their vehicles for it. So the smart ones among us wait for a few hours after a snowfall, until the streets are once again usable and the initial panic and fender-benders are over. Then, we can enjoy driving through the snow, listening to "Santa Claus is Coming To Town" on the stereo, and feeling all warm and Christmasy. And feeling rather smug, because once again we've avoided the fate of many of our fender-bending fellow motorists. The trick to winter driving in slushy, slippery, snowy conditions? Don't make any sudden moves! Do everything gradually, carefully, and gently. Don't stomp on the brakes or jerk the wheel - if you do, you've just lost it. And stay the hell away from the rear of that idiot up in front of you. Togetherness is NOT the object of this exercise.  Get the picture?

_____________________________________________________

3 comments:

  1. Ray, you forgot to mention the obvious trick during a snow storm...

    Fill the Brandy Snifter, light a fire in the fireplace, reach for a good book and listen for those, ever so gentle, noises of fenders crashing together. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Tommy -

    Yes, but this was at about 2:45 a.m.,when most of the fender-benders had already done their thing and been hauled away and gone to bed.

    But I really like your plan :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snow and ice were two reasons I picked South Carlonia to live in...I have a few more reasons than that but driving in Chicago in the winter is definitely not my cup of tea...I grew up there...

    Ray's right! Drive in snow and ice GENTLY...and for the love o J____s, DON'T tailgate...

    Don't get me wrong here...I love to play in snow...Snowball fights...ice skating...even skiing...building snowmen...(or women)... I loved feeling the crunch under my shoes walking home at night after a movie...and best of all is the beauty of snow covering the neighborhood houses and yards and streets and making everything look so pristine,,,

    I just don't like driving in snow...and I definitely don't like shoveling snow...Here in SC my snow shovel has retired...I smile every time I see more rust on it...

    hehe

    ReplyDelete