Saturday, January 1, 2011

And another year flew by.....

Everybody does retrospectives this time of year, remembering or reminding us of important events from the past twelve months, like as if we were out to lunch or on a tropical vacation, or maybe volunteering in Bunga-Bunga, or some other wretched place filled with poverty-stricken teary-eyed waifs who require our help just to maintain their tenuous grasp on life as we hope we will never know it......

To all those who insist on writing that guff about the recent past, I'd like to say "Get a life, you turkeys! - and good luck with your 'Creative Writing 101' test." I not only was here all year, I wasn't amused by most of it. And I'm even less enchanted by the interpretations of it offered by these self-styled pundits who think they're God's gift to the communications industry.

Being old and feeble and prone to frequent visits to the nearest bathroom, especially in the middle of the night like this, I go to bed early on New Year's Eve, and usually get woke up at midnight by all those extravagant fools who set off fireworks around the neighborhood, making it sound too much like World War Three has finally arrived in our peaceful little suburb. Not this year. I didn't hear a single blast. Not that I'm complaining, you understand. I think all that midnight madness at the start of a new year is just silly and wasteful. We howl about 'air quality', and then set off fireworks making enough smoke to hide half the community from the view of passing satellites. Are we stupid, or what? Maybe not, this year. And thanks for that. I enjoyed the pleasant change.


So, should I add to the retrospective trend with my own? Maybe just a very short one. This past year, thanks to the generosity of the Cancer Society, I received a treatment that seems to have cured my prostate cancer, and it was all done in about an hour, wasn't especially painful, and wasn't nearly as messy as a standard prostate biopsy.  It's called Brachytherapy, and it really works. If you're an older male you should learn more about it, in case it can help you too. Other than that, my year was rather uneventful, and at my age, that's just the way I like them. Happy New Year, Folks....



4 comments:

  1. Ray said...
    "This past year, thanks to the generosity of the Cancer Society, I received a treatment that seems to have cured my prostate cancer, and it was all done in about an hour, wasn't especially painful, and wasn't nearly as messy as a standard prostate biopsy."

    Congratulations, Ray! That's the best gift anyone could have gotten you, I'm thinking! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, TC -

    I think you're absolutely right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :-)

    (you're name is completely "off the charts" now, Ray! Just seeing a dotted line, tonight! Don't make me think that somethin's happened to you, friend! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This "off the charts" thing is because I was trying to get my name to appear in a way that looked better on the page, and the only way I could get it the way I wanted it positioned was to add a bunch of dots ahead of it to force the formatting into moving it to where I wanted it. The program doesn't respond to just plain spaces. So you can't see it, huh?

    I'm blaming Google's tinkerers....
    When they get something half-working, they seem to disappear for lunch or something and then never come back to it to finish the damned thing off!

    ReplyDelete