Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Finding pictures isn't easy


This isn't a recent picture, because our flowers aren't that far along yet this year but we're hoping. This is a collage from 2008.

A friend is shopping for a new computer to replace his old one, and some of the suggestions I offered him may be useful to others as well. For example, a lot of new computers these days come with sample or demo or trial versions of some popular software, like an office program perhaps, or an anti-virus suite, or one for handling your pictures and videos. What they aren't saying is that a lot of that stuff is either already built into Windows 7, or is freely available on the web if you do a little hunting.

For a complete free office suite, have a look at this one.

For a very good free anti-virus, try this one.

Avast 6 even in its free version has features you can't even get in some of those widely-advertised other brands, and it does a very good job too. You really should check it out.

And if you're offered a trial of PowerDVD, and you likely will be, just remember that Windows 7 has a built-in program called Windows DVD Maker, as well as Windows Media Player, and  Windows Media Center. That PowerDVD program is only of benefit to you if you purchase its Ultra version which allows you to play Blu-ray disks, and costs between $75 and $100 - and that only helps you if you already have a Blu-ray Player installed. I hasten to add that your standard DVD player such as the kind that comes with your new computer does NOT play Blu-ray disks, which require a whole other player, and there's no magical program that can convert your standard model into the Blu-ray kind, because it's all about the lasers used to code or decode the disks. Without the right ones, it's back to the shop. So try out the stuff that comes with your new machine before you spend big bucks. And remember that there's a lot of good freebies out there, if you do some searching. Some of them are even easier to use than the "standard equipment" versions, and work just as well or better.

6 comments:

  1. Off the subject Ray, but are you using IE9 by any chance? Ever since I upgraded, I can't post to Blogger..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Tommy -

    I have IE9 and SP1 for Win-7, but I usually use Firefox as the browser.
    I like it's add-ons better. There's one called Better Privacy that you ought to check out, because it finds hidden LSOs (supercookies) that don't show up in regular cookie finding programs, and they never expire, and can phone home with your info. So Better Privacy can find and remove those, and you ought to try it.

    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/betterprivacy/

    I'll try going onto my blog from IE9 and see what happens....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Note to Tommy:

    I'm doing this one using IE9, and there didn't seem to be any problems. Do you have Windows 7? Is the SP1 installed? Maybe try going into Programs and Features (formerly Add/Remove Programs) and remove the IE9 and then re-install it again from the website. It seems to work OK for me.... I did notice though that when it is installing, it needs to have several of your programs shut down and those include your security such as Superantispyware, ThreatFire, etc., and also your Java for some unknown reason - but the installer will ask permission to do that for you if you're watching the progress of it and can click the button to OK it.
    It restarts everything when it's finished, and then it needs a reboot to get everything happy.
    So give that a try and let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting. Ya, I have SP1 installed. I did a little research on this issue and there are other prople that are having this same problem.

    Of course I am able to post to your, and other blogs. I just can't "publish" to my own. I can in Windows XP. I'll play around with it some more when I get a chance. Nice to know that you can publish, so there's hope for me.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another note to Tommy:

    You might also make sure that you have the most recent updates for the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable, which, although not part of the standard equipment in the O/S, is required for any programs that may have been created using it - so it doesn't hurt to have the latest update, which would be the 2010 one. I'm not sure if that will make a difference or not, but it's worth a try.

    ReplyDelete