Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day - another of Mom's inventions!


Somebody's Mom invented Mother's Day, and a few years later, around the turn of the 20th Century, another one invented Father's day, mostly because it takes two to tango. 

I've been a father five times, but I can't prove it, because none of those little rugrats are now on speaking terms with their dear old daddy. And that isn't the hardship it might seem. I don't get invited to any fancy family dinners that I'd end up paying for anyway, and I don't get a lot of mushy cards written by total strangers because my own kid is too lazy or too uncaring to express himself or herself personally and directly to their 'old man'. And best of all, I don't get a lot of tearful requests for those 'loans' that never get repaid and are essential for preserving the kids' status quo or dignity or credit rating or reputation amongst his peers. Being completely ignored by my kids turns out to be a definite win-win situation - and teaches them a lot about self-reliance that spending my paltry pension wouldn't do.

So in the interests of better parenting, I recommend the rest of you follow  my example and get your kids to ignore you completely, especially if they are in their mid forties and working on their second divorces......

Happy Father's Day!

1 comment: