Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The climate change fiasco

My favorite columnist in my favorite Toronto paper, The Globe and Mail, has another excellent column today that tells us about this climate change fiasco.

You can find it right here, and I hope you do read it. Margaret and I often exchange short emails about what's in  her column or what maybe should be, and this one might have something to do with a rant I did on my blog a few days back, or maybe not, I'm not really sure - but I'm glad she did this one.

As she rightly points out, this climate change thing isn't really about the climate change at all - it's about money and power. And as I mentioned in my own rant, greed trumps common sense every time, so I don't expect anything to get done about saving our nice little planet. All this talk is just so much hot air to let the politicians feel like they're actually doing something, and they are - they're growing older one day at a time, just like you and I. But they aren't saving the planet, because that wouldn't be good for business. So they're buying time until we all end up at each other's throats because the murk of pollution has clogged our air and water, and left us with very few unspoiled resources to fight over or use for fun and profit. It's all over but the shouting, Kiddies, and there's going to be lots of that.

The Bible's Book of Revelations says something about how the heavens and the earth will be rolled up like a scroll at the end. I doubt anyone will be around for that, because civilization will have already fizzled away by then because we couldn't agree to try saving it while we had the opportunity to do it in time.

This was a nice little planet while it lasted. Too bad we couldn't save it. And for the record, one more time, Old Uncle Albert was right when he said that we can't solve a problem using the same level of intelligence which created it.  That's my rant on the subject, now please read Margaret Wente's column on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment