Friday, December 9, 2011

I feel another rant coming on...... are you ready?

Well, ready or not, here it comes! I canceled my subscription today to the print edition of the local rag, The Vancouver Sun.  I love that paper, and I've enjoyed it for many years, but yesterday, I tried going onto their website to switch over my subscription from printed media to on-line digital - although why I'd want to do that is a mystery, because I can access almost any paper in the world with just a few clicks of the mouse and no exchange of negotiable coin. But I'm a nice guy, so I tried it. Wrong Move, Exlax!

For an outfit that brags it was one of the first to recognize the advantages of going into the on-line news game, they've got one of the most ridiculous and confusing setups for getting yourself able to have access to their official digital version of the paper that I've ever seen. And contrary to popular belief, even though I'm an Old Fart of 79, I'm no digitally-illiterate bum with no comprehension of bytes, megabytes, and bullshit-by-wire. I've been bullshitted by experts, and I can smell it coming a mile away. So after they'd razzled and dazzled me through several incomplete forms, I suddenly realized this was never going to get anywhere, because at no time had any mention been made of a password, without which you could fill in the blanks forever and get nothing-nada-nyet-noplace! And since I'd already wasted over half an hour and was feeling by then like a prize idiot, which my I.Q. says I'm not, I said (never mind what I said - it's censored!) and then I said, "Enough's Too Much!" and hit the 'Delete' button on all that.  I wrote them a sharply-worded (and not entirely un-profane) email to which I received no reply, so I got on the phone today and pulled the plug on that whole sordid business, saving $16 a month doing so.

But I'm digressing again - sorry about that, in case it bugs you. In that now canceled paper today, there's an article titled 'Feds to revoke thousands of citizenships in historic sweep' by someone named Tobi Cohen, of Postmedia News. Postmedia News being the successor to Canwest Global of the Aspers' family debts. (How do you make money borrowing 4 billion?) And of course the name Cohen is a good Irish name. When I was a kid back home, there was a family of Cohens owned the local scrap yard, and they made more money off that junk yard than you or I could make honestly. It was almost magic. "Need a fender for a 1937 Nash Lafayette?" - "You got $20.00 cash monya?" Like that!

Anyway, getting back to that article, it starts with a picture of our intrepid minister in charge, and he obviously isn't in charge of shaves, which he needs, or suits, which his looks like it came from the Salvation Army Thrift Shop, complete with wrinkles and lint. But I'm digressing again - I do this a lot, don't I? The point he makes is coming not a minute too soon, because for decades lately, many of us real Canadians - the ones who got into the country with no clothes on at a very young age - have been suspecting that our Canada has been an easy target for crooks, con-men, frauds, sharpies, and schemers of any and all descriptions from anywhere in the world with the money to get here and bullshit their way in past our gullible officials. So it's high time those boobs in Ottawa woke up to the game, and cracked down on it hard. Our tax dollars are supposed to help our fellow Canadians, not just any damned leech able to crawl under the door, and mumble some tear-stained story to a snivel servant who ought to be better trained at spotting fakes. And that's my rant for today - how do you like it so far? I rather enjoyed it myself....

2 comments:

  1. Join the club Ray...I gave up our local newspaper several years ago...Only to Open it's web site and read whatever I want for free...Of course we don't have anything to wrap our old fish heads in after cleaning but that's why we save our plastic bags from the supermarkets...

    I find that doing the picture jigsaw puzzle they have everyday helps me keep my little brain active and alert...The printed version didn't have anything like that...Check out The State newspaper in SC...and you will see what I mean...cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Ray you can always subscribe to the Temiskaming Speaker and the North Bay Nugget and read the obits of all your departing old Hydro friends

    ReplyDelete