Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Mr. Moffat, you make a miserable excuse for a refrigerator!



And I have proof! This Moffat Automatic Defrost Refigerator was new in December of 2006, and since then has required de-icing manually four times. And I will try not to rant too long about all the popping and gurgling and other annoying noises it makes when it is running. I'm in a studio apartment, meaning this refrigerator is about six feet from my bed, and the damned thing wakes me up at nights with its weird noises. I'm renting this place, so I can't throw it out, but I can't think of anything that would give me more pleasure right now. I've just spent a part of my day here again, opening up this pitiful excuse for a refrigerator, using a hair drier I bought for this job, and melting all that ice out of its cooling unit, and then assembling it again, and getting it back in operation.

Whoever made this thing deserves a good swift kick in the family jewels, and then be forced to live with this instead of a properly functioning refrigerator for the next fifty years. This one won't last nearly that long, but I'm speaking hypothetically here. The old refrigerator this one replaced was also a Moffat, and it lasted from when this apartment block was built in 1972 or 1973 until it finally died the last week of November, 2006. It was a damned good appliance, and I'd love to know how those guys managed to forget how to do this in those 33 years or so since that old one was built. It never woke me up in the night, and it never  surprised me by not working, because it was a manual defrost and I could plainly see when it needed defrosting. This new one has everything hidden behind a stylish plastic cover, and you don't know there's anything wrong until it suddenly quits working and your food starts to spoil. Wonderful. They also forgot what the word 'progress' is supposed to mean. And I don't have to tell you where this goddamned thing was built, do I? 

No comments:

Post a Comment