Friday, December 23, 2011

Remember this?


Remember how I described hunting for it at Whole Foods for the equivalent of $15.13 a pound? Whole Foods has been described by another of its customers as "Whole Foods aka Whole Paycheck". Then finding out that my favorite supermarket did have it after all, in the above packages, for the more reasonable price of $5.79 for a little more than a pound.... and that whole thing because I'd been told that this stuff is safe for Diabetics and those of us who have been told by our doctors to lay off the regular sugar - remember? WELL, I WAS WRONG!

I called my doctor's office yesterday afternoon, and asked if this stuff really was OK for those of us who shouldn't consume ordinary sugar, and the answer was "As far as we know, this tastes differently, and costs more than regular sugar, but otherwise it is still sugar, and not an approved substitute for those who should not have regular sugar."

So it's back to the Splenda or your supermarket's own house brand version of it. But I have to say before I rush off that the Coconut Palm Sugar tastes absolutely delicious on your bowl of Rice Krispies, and it goes wonderfully well in coffee.

The misinformation about it started I think with the Philippine Food and Nutrition Research Institute which published results of testing done on it to compare it with other agricultural sugar products, and it was implied that it is somehow better or safer for you than regular sugars like processed white or regular brown sugars. However, I can't find anything to confirm that on the website of the Mayo Clinic nor the website for Health Canada, which shows no mention of it among approved sugar substitutes. So I have to conclude that my doctor is correct and it is just another exotic kind of sugar. I should have done my homework more thoroughly before I shot off my big mouth about this, but I thought I'd made an interesting discovery and I couldn't wait to spread the word. My apologies, Folks. The moral of this story being "Engage brain before opening mouth!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment