Monday, January 2, 2012

A little more of This & That.....

Today, while watching the neighborhood crows flying by my 16th floor window, and a couple of seagulls cruising around looking hungry, I got a piece of bread from the kitchen and held it out the window to see if anyone was paying attention. In only a moment, there was a seagull right there, hovering near my outstretched arm with the bread. It didn't quite get up the nerve to come that last couple of feet but it was very near. It seemed to sense that I meant it no harm, so I laid the bread on the window ledge outside and closed the drapes for a few minutes, so the interior with the lights and computer screen wouldn't spook the birds. The bread was gone within a minute.

Later, shopping at Safeway, I was looking for their Chunky Cheese Bread because theirs is usually made better than their competition down the street. There was no sign of it, so I asked the gal behind the bakery counter when they would be baking more of it. She said, "We won't - we've stopped making it and the Raisin Bread because there just wasn't enough of it being sold. But if you really want some Chunky Cheese Bread, we can bake you a couple of loaves, but you'd have to ask us to do that." I thanked her for the information and declined her offer to make me some. I figured if it's a special order, it will likely cost more, and it was already quite expensive. So their competition is now the only source of Chunk Cheese Bread, and it isn't as carefully made as the Safeway product was. It usually has a lot of fairly large bubbles in it, and those aren't very nice if you're trying to spread something on it. When you're paying over four bucks a loaf for bread, you expect bread, not holes with bread around them.

4 comments:

  1. "I figured if it's a special order, it will likely cost more, and it was already quite expensive."

    Sounds to me, like you missed an oppurtunity to make a friend and to enjoy the bread that you like. I'd go back and take her up on her offer. I mean we only go around once in this lifetime.

    Recently I've been wanting to try a new BBQ resturant in town. I've asked several friends and nobody seems to have the time to join me. So, today I think I'll be taking my book and going for that BBQ myself.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Tommy -

    I think you should go by yourself if
    your friends are too busy. You shouldn't stay away just because you can't find someone to go with you.
    Who knows? You might meet someone there.

    I was at the other supermarket this morning, and I mentioned to the baker there about Safeway not making Chunky Cheese Bread any longer, and he said, "I just took some out of the oven - it's not sliced yet, but if you don't mind that, then I'll put it in a bag for you." I said I'd love it, and not to worry about slicing, becausde it will keep better if it isn't sliced. So I came home with a really fresh loaf of Chunky Cheese Bread, and cut a nice thick crust from one end, and spread some margarine and marmalade on it, and it was just delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "So I came home with a really fresh loaf of Chunky Cheese Bread"

    Great, sounds real good. Looks like both of us made out ok today. I went and had some great BBQ.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You two guys kill me...It's all about food...I never heard of Chunky Cheese bread...Does it have big chunks of cheese in it? If it does then how can you toast it? Does the cheese melt down and end up in the crumb drawer?

    Don't mind me...I'm just sitting here with my first cup of coffee reading your blogs...I've got my sixth to last radiation treatment this morning at 8:30 AM...I told the doc yeaterday that I felt like my visits were part of my normal daily routine...What will I do when they're over? ...(pause)...Only and old dude like myself would make such a dumb statement...

    ReplyDelete