Monday, January 9, 2012

Through a screen door, quickly....


I had the card out of one camera, trying to edit a video taken through the window earlier today, when this guy showed up. I had to quickly grab the other camera and take the shot, without thinking about the screen on the doorway interfering with the results. But I got it, and now I know my plan will work. Incidentally, that board it is sitting on is about 11 and 3/4 inches wide - not quite a foot - so that will give you an idea of the bird's size. From beak to tail it would be nearly two feet. Next time, I'll try to have that screen moved out of the way. 


Here's one without the screen door in the way. They're still quite nervous about being close to people, so I had to turn off the lights and stay away from the window while getting this. But it didn't take them long at all to figure out that this new contraption on the railing had food on it. And since it slips easily on and off the railing, they are rather puzzled by its sudden disappearance after feeding time is over and I've got my pictures. Speaking of which, I'm learning that photographing birds close up is a lot like kissing a duck's ass without getting a mouthful of feathers - you've gotta be quick! Lucky helps too.

3 comments:

  1. Ray said...
    But it didn't take them long at all to figure out that this new contraption on the railing had food on it. And since it slips easily on and off the railing, they are rather puzzled by its sudden disappearance after feeding time is over...

    LOL! "feeding time!" GOOD one! :-D

    ...and I've got my pictures. Speaking of which, I'm learning that photographing birds close up is a lot like kissing a duck's ass without getting a mouthful of feathers - you've gotta be quick! Lucky helps too.

    Exactly! You FUNNY guy! Thanks for sharing the pics w/us and...risking the "mouthful of feathers!" :-D

    Reminds me of a bird-related scenario I had, yesterday: got out of the van to go deliver a meal to someone. On my way back, I looked up to notice a HUGE gander of geese flying in formation, just above me. To add some "drama" to my passengers, I slammed against the garage door, hoping to avoid any...um "fly by" turds dumping on me! lol! :-P

    HILARIOUS captcha: (kind of goes w/what I was just writing about; the meal) "cater" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, TC -

    Being 'bombed' by a flock of geese isn't something you should worry about. But if you ever get dumped on by an eagle, contrary to the popular native myth about that, it doesn't bring you 'good luck' - it brings you what seems like about a cup of stuff you can't wait to visit a laundry to remove. And in the meantime, you aren't nice to be around. So stay out from under those eagles!

    ReplyDelete