Monday, February 27, 2012

Defragmenting Windows 8 Dev Preview


This is fast - one minute flat to defragment a partition that was 4% fragmented containing 25 GB of data. It works very nicely, and I like being able to initiate a defrag without having it built into a pre-programmed maintenance schedule that smacks of too much 'idiot-proofing' and not enough freedom of choice.

I hope they remedy that with the coming public Consumer Preview. And as long as I'm doing a 'whine' here, my other and even higher up the list complaint would be that in this pre-beta incarnation, when I have a window open inside a program like my photo-editing one from Arcsoft, PhotoStudio 5.5, and I want to close that one edited window so I can open the next editing job, when i click the little red box with the white X in it on the window I want to be rid of, the whole thing goes 'Whoof!' and everything vanishes down to the bare-assed Desktop, and I'm left cussing at some unknown genius while I re-open the whole program from its beginning again. Very annoying! Not too many of us are going to enjoy that. With or without the cussing. So I fervently hope somebody else is having that same thrilling experience, and I hope it's someone who can fix it for us. I'll know later on this week whether it's a general glitch, or if I'm the lucky one who enjoys it all by myself. This Test Pilot stuff is Hell, Folks.... you need nerves of steel, and an ass to match. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Ray...

    You seem to being having an orgazmic relationship with this new Windowa 8 you are installing ...It's fun to read your notes... and comments... and judgements... and quips... etc....etc....
    I am going to have to print out all of your blogs on it if I am going to install Windows 8 on my PC...The trouble is...I don't even know anything about Windows 7 which came with my new PC...

    But I do enjoy reading your blog and look forward to it like looking forward to tomorrow's "Blondie" cartoon...and that's a compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Uncle Ron -

    Hi, Ron - Glad you're enjoying my little babblings. It's nice to know that someone is. And lately there's been about a hundred a day tuning in.

    Google picked a fine time to start screwing around with the layout of these blogs though, don't you think? I wish they'd make up their minds and stick to it, or just plain 'stick it'! For months now, every time I write a text more than one or two lines, I have to go back through it line by line and manually re-format it, or else it usually prints out all broken up and has to be coaxed back together. These guys are so interested in something new, they can't be bothered finishing off what they've already started. So we have a lot of half-baked stuff on here. It took them about a year to get Picasa photo editing working right, so it didn't cut you off at the shoulders and knees if it was a portrait-shaped image.
    They have problems finishing stuff.

    Anyhoo....if you have any questions
    feel free to send me an email or ask it here, and I'll try to explain it for you.

    ReplyDelete