Thursday, February 16, 2012

Those telephone scammers....

I got a call again this morning from someone with a very Indian accent trying to tell me in his own brand of English that he was with Microsoft, and wanted to tell me something about my Windows and what was a problem with it.

In the first place, Patch Tuesday was just two days ago, and I've got all the latest updates for Windows, and it is presumably working just fine. I can't detect any problems with it myself, and if it had some, I'd very likely notice. Secondly, I got a call from someone sounding suspiciously like this guy today a few months ago, and he wanted me to enable remote access so that he could get into my computer and supposedly "correct" it for me. If I'd enabled remote access for him, he could have taken control of my computer and made it act as another server in a malware network to distribute spam or malware to others, just as one example of the various possibilities. I do not grant remote access to anyone I don't know, and certainly not anyone feeding me a line of BS like that guy did. So if you get any calls like that, do what I did - tell him he isn't making any sense, and then hang up fast. If he really was with Microsoft, and Microsoft wanted to contact me, they would most likely do it via the Internet. They have my computer's address for their Windows Updates, and they also have my email address from past contacts. As far as I know, Microsoft doesn't place a lot of calls to their Windows users, and if you call them, then you'd better have fifty bucks to spare, because they're trying to make a profit, and they don't like donating their time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment