Monday, February 20, 2012

Windows 8 Developer Preview - Desktop

Yes, it runs the same programs we have in Windows 7, and yes, you can still build your own Desktop Themes for it, like we did for Windows 7, and I take back what I said about those Apps cluttering up the Start window..... One click and you're here on a normal desktop which you can customize for yourself, like I just have.


And yes, the Dual Boot setup worked like a charm, once I figured out where I'd gone wrong the 1st time I tried it. I had tried to get Win-8 to include my personal files from Win-7, and of course that meant it had to install onto the wrong drive, instead of the empty one I'd prepared for it. So after I repaired Win-7 with an old disk image I had laying around, and then got back its recent updates that were trashed, I finally got smart, and did a Custom or "clean install" of Win-8 and once it started that, it very politely asked me where I'd like to put it. So I said, "Right this way to the back half of the disk drive, please..." and after it finished loading, this Dual Boot window came up. I heaved a huge sigh of pure relief, and then got on with the job of dressing it up with some programs. I'm still at that, incidentally, and the good news is, it's running an old version of my favorite PhotoStudio 5.5 that I've cherished since back in the days of XP!  It says it has compatibility problems with it, but it also offers a choice to "run it anyway" and I am, with great success. Now, I'm getting curious to see what the public release preview will be like.  On this one, I can't find the "Feedback" icon, so I can't heckle anyone about their work..... maybe the next version will have one. I can hardly wait.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment