Monday, March 12, 2012

Here's why I like Firefox - its very useful Add-ons....


I just installed this into Firefox in Windows 8, and I've had it on Windows 7 for years. This little add-on provides you with the ability to manage LSOs, or Local System Objects, better known perhaps as 'Supercookies'. Why? Because.....

These 'Supercookies' don't show up in your regular cookie-handling programs, they never expire, they can contain 100 Kb compared to regular cookies 4 Kb, they can perform executable operations like sending your personal data back home to their home base, and you don't even know they are in there unless you have this little program, which is a free add-on for Firefox. I wish Internet Explorer had one of these. (Dear Mr. Microsoft: Please Read!)

After I installed it, I opened its window to see what it had found, and this list shown is missing three entries that I've already deleted prior to grabbing the screen shot of it. You can set this to work in conjunction with your normal Firefox privacy settings and cookie-handling, so that it will clear these along with regular cookies according to however you've chosen to configure that, so you do not need to do this separately, unless you prefer to do it that way.

Some of these LSOs do perform useful tasks, but it has been my experience that everything seems to work just fine if I have this feature set to dump the LSOs along with other cookies each time I close the browser. These little muckets don't exactly breed in the dark corners, but they know enough about arithmetic to be able to multiply like rabbits if you give them half a chance, so I don't. This add-on provides exactly what it promises: Better Privacy. If you use Firefox, you should have one of these. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment