Friday, March 2, 2012

Restoring Windows 7, the original Windows 8.....


It's easy, but it isn't quick. Pack a lunch. Bring a book. Put a movie in the DVD Player. I've done all this before, but it doesn't make it more enjoyable. I have a Seagate FreeAgent Desk external drive for back-ups, but I haven't  had it plugged in lately, so it wasn't a lot of help to me. But I'm learning. My next project is to go onto the Seagate site and download the latest updated instructions for that because mine are out of date now, and it is now enabled for both 32 and 64-bit systems they say.  Now, back to restoring my treasured Windows 7 on that other computer where Windows 8 wiped it off the other day.....

I used Easeus Partition Master earlier today, to create a new second partition on that hard-drive, and then I used it again to copy the Windows 8 from its spot on the first partition over to the new second one, to make room for Windows 7 which needs to be next to the Boot Sector. Then I re-installed Windows 7, and  now I'm dressing it up with all its third-party programming I had before on it. Hours of work. And all because I wasn't paying attention the first go around. Where I went wrong was trying to get Windows 8 to install on a prepared and named partition. It should have been left as unassigned territory so the new O/S could detect that, and ask where to go. And Boy, could I tell it !

Short Update:
I've now got the drive re-partitioned again into two parts, and the Windows 7 is on the first part, next to the boot sector, and Windows 8 is on the second part, next to the Twilight Zone...... and I'm busily downloading lost programs to fluff them both up to their normal bloated condition. There's a lot of great freebies out there, and I've got some of the best ones - or I know where to find them. Nothing like having a hobby, and this one promises to outlast me, I betcha.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment