Thursday, April 19, 2012

More about friends, after one or two of mine saw a previous post here

The following is from an old friend of mine that I've known for over half a century, and after he saw that one about the friends and how many we can handle, he wrote me with this. So Tommy, if you're still there, here's another person's thoughts about 'friends'.......


Hi All,
A old friend for 55 yrs. or so brought up a very interesting subject.
When you die you are a lucky person if you can count 5 friends on one hand.
Lucky ones have 5.The rest are acquaintances.
Say you can only ever have a few true friends that stays with you
most your life.It really varies from person to person. Some have
one, some may have 3 or so. Some don't even have any...
I only have the ones I want and choose to have.
Social media sites, particularly Facebook and Twitter, have long
been criticized for being vehicles for meaningless relationships.
In terms of a trusting, true friendship, I can think of just a few
and have accepted the fact that I think that is a very common thing
so I am not necessarily sad or dissatisfied with it.
Many of my blogs are “lessons learned” or have sort of a “moral of the story”
tone to them. I do not really have any answers or profound
wisdom in this one, and that’s okay. Perhaps you the reader can
relate and would like to add a thought or comment, perhaps not.
Maybe someone could care to share some truth or shed some light
on why it is that most of us can count our really true friends on one hand?
Any ideas? I will bet 99% of you will not answer.

3 comments:

  1. Just 'cuz I saw this and...I like a good challenge (lol!), I will state what I think just some of the issues are:

    friendship: takes time, energy, empathy, selflessness, open-mindness, and humility...ALL traits that are SEVERELY LACKING in this day and age! Can't even get a person to do little more than "like" you on FB, much less set up a time to get together, or even talk via a phone or online Skyping! :-/ PRETTY SAD state of the WORLD! :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thaimi, You Sweet Thing You.....

    You're absolutely right, My Dear.

    It's probably because too many people these days have a personality about as thick as a coat of paint, and the attention-span of a stop-light, and the intelligence of a five-year-old. They'd rather have their fancy electronic toys than real relationships with real people. Even our jet fighters these days are just fancy flying video games for the boys to play with. And there's three times as many of us now compared to when I was born. It's frightening, really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always interesting to read your analogies, Ray; you're so FUNNY...and right, as well! :-D

    That is amazing how the population has tripled, since you arrived, as well!

    Looking forward to some more SUN, in the coming days! :-D

    Take good care of yourself! No falling, like Uncle Ron did! (Poor guy!)

    ReplyDelete